Thursday, 5 May 2016

The rock

Left Marryat Creek after a walk in the morning...am impressed I did a walk at least!  We headed off to Curtin Springs and as we travelled along we saw a huge mountain a bit like those in the Grand Canyon which we had never heard of ....Mt Connor......it was gigantic and am amazed it is not promoted as much as Uluru...it appears bigger...like Mt Augustus.
 Anyway we arrived at Ayres Rock and had to queue with many others to get in.  We booked into the  "field of light " display which is what I wanted to see and we were picked up by a tour bus ...along with three other pickups.  Of course there were people who were late each time coming and going!  Our tour cost $35 each ...we refrained from the degustation for $235 per head!  The Munroe art display was awesome to see but would have been better to see at sundown with Uluru in the background.  Sadly you cannot ever see the field of lights for free as it is set in a private entrance looking out on the rock from what I can gather! As it was a very short drive and we had to walk through it ourselves and kill time photographing etc until the time was up, I feel the money charged was over the top!  Am glad I got to see it though as I have had an interest in optic fibers sine the Biloela Snoezelen days!
Got up in the morning and Bart decided not to view the rock before sunrise.  instead
 he walked up and  viewed from the van lookout hill.
Well It is awesome to see and well worth the drive here to view such an Australian icon, best described by John Williamson's song, it's "Raining on the rock..".but no rain during our visit sadly!  Oooohh how could I forget...I saw a blue wren while travelling here and thought I was wrong only to discover there are many here due to the Acacias etc.  However must say that Mt Connor should be on everyone's agenda as it is an awesome sight as well.  You can get to go on a tour of it.  I think some of my pics turned out great!  Now we have done a viewing up close and personal we are now heading to Alice Springs.  Was disappointing to see so many tourists running up and down Uluru ...and dangerous!







No comments:

Post a Comment